For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

21 Days of Prayer in Psalm 119 (Day #11)

Read Psalm 119:81-88

     “Longing”

For what do we long? The things of heaven or the things of earth? In today’s stanza, we see an increased longing on the part of the psalmist for God to deliver him, to save him, from those who were actively persecuting him (mentioned 4-5 times). This longing is seen in the first two verses,
“My soul longs for your salvation;
              I hope in your word.
My eyes long for your promise;
             I ask, “When will you comfort me?”
(v. 81-82)

Trusting God is no guarantee that you will get whatever you want right now. If fact it is often quite the opposite. However, he is with us right now in the midst of any trials we are facing. It is in the tough times that we can learn from the psalmist’s testimony. When facing persecution, he does not turn from the Word of God but hopes in it and keeps it all the more faithfully. May we have the same resolve when we are pressed.

This passage causes me to look ahead to Revelation 12:10-11 where John describes the great age-long battle between the dragon and the people of God.
"And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the
kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers
 has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death."


My fear is that our deep longing is not tied to our love for Christ and his Word but has become more focused on the earthly things that make for a comfortable life. I hope we would be able to stand “not loving our own lives even unto death” but I have my doubts.

O Lord, you know the desperate requests of your people around the world, the things they need to stay alive and to stand firm. I pray that you would fulfill their sacred longings even now. Please save, even those who don’t yet realize that they need to be saved. Please comfort the bullied, vindicate the persecuted, and embolden the harassed. Bring truth and justice to light along with the mercy available to us through the promises of your Word fulfilled in Christ! Enable us to stand in faith because you stood for us. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there everybody, here every one is sharing these kinds of knowledge, so it's nice to read
    this website, and I used to pay a quick visit this weblog all the time.

    ReplyDelete