For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Psalm 40 A New Song: Our Testimony of God’s On-going Goodness to Us

Miss Clara in her "War Room"
This is a psalm that is very familiar to many Christians. It contains verses that we like to quote, some that readily identify with our life story, and others that we struggle with admitting are true about us. It starts very straightforwardly as David testifies,

“I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he inclined to me and heard my cry.” (v.1)

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash
How many of us can honestly say that we have waited “patiently” for the Lord? While I have waited and contended and prayed and believed for many things over the years, I am not sure how consistently patient God would say that I have been. David’s life, however, lined up with his claim. Despite the turmoil and the tears, he knew that the Lord had heard his desperate prayers.

David knew that God had chosen him and anointed him (via the elderly prophet and judge Samuel) to be king after God had rejected the unrepentant excuse-making King Saul. Even so, David would not elevate himself to the position. He left the timing of the promise’s fulfillment in the hands of God. Even though Saul, in his insane jealousy, repeatedly tried to hunt David down and kill him (in an effort to retain his kingdom from which God had rejected him), David refused to defend himself. He would not raise his weapons against “the Lord’s anointed” despite being encouraged to do so when the opportunity came.

That doesn’t mean that David didn’t feel the pain and experience significant anguish along the way. He did, and he talked to God about it a lot… just read the Psalms! There are more lament psalms than any other kind! As we have often noted on this blog, the psalms give us the language, to be honest with God, and to process our emotions through the revealed character of God. While our circumstances don’t always change, we change and our perspective changes as well! These changes can positively impact those around us!

Photo by Martin on Unsplash
It should be noted that David’s testimony was not that of a quick or one-time deliverance, but more of a slow-motion miracle of daily provision and protection as with each new moment he chose to trust the Lord. He had eyes to see God at work (even in the mundane) and an ear to hear the word of the Lord (even in a whisper). 

Along the way, perhaps in that “valley of the shadow of death” (Ps. 23:4), the psalmist received more than words of empty consolation, for it was in the darkest moments that he became most aware of the presence of God. It should be noted that his life was not all darkness and pain for there were many brilliant moments where heaven seemed to break forth into David’s life. Whether it happened literally or poetically, David was repeatedly delivered by the manifested faithfulness of the Lord.
Photo by Neil Thomas
 on Unsplash

He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
    out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
    making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
    and put their trust in the Lord.
(v.2-3)

What is our “pit of destruction”? Where have we been betrayed and left to die like Joseph (Genesis 37) or Jeremiah (Jer. 18)? What is our “miry bog”, that situation that seems to hold us in a suffocating grip of iron until we give up in exhaustion and despair? David uses the “mire” idea again in Psalm 69:1-3,
Save me, O God!
    For the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in deep mire,
    where there is no foothold;
I have come into deep waters,
    and the flood sweeps over me.
I am weary with my crying out;
    my throat is parched.
My eyes grow dim
    with waiting for my God.

God always knows where we are, even in those times when it feels like he doesn’t. Isaiah 43:1b-3 is an awesome promise for whatever floods and fires we may face.
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
    and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
    and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

The psalmist’s testimony was that the Lord had put his feet on the rock “making his steps
Photo Greg Dueker
secure.”
I know what it feels like to climb a steep sand dune at the beach where you are constantly sliding backward, or worse I know the anxiety of trying to traverse a large talus slope in the mountains where sliding rocks could break a leg or precipitate a fatal fall. I also know what it feels like to be pressed down by a 100+ pound pack into a deceptively sticky mud flat—you start to think you might never get out. But the security and stability that the psalmist speaks of are more than just a reference to enhanced physical balance and traction. It addresses a change in one’s whole life through an emotional, and spiritual rescue from overwhelming circumstances, overbearing enemies, and overflowing sin.

But I wonder how often we speak about what God has done for us. On a daily basis, are we more likely to complain about what went wrong (frustrations, disappointments, fears, etc.) or to thank God for his works on our behalf—the way that his deeds manifest his amazing love?

In v. 3, David writes that the Lord “put a new song in my mouth”. Have you ever wondered what that new song is, or why there needs to be a new one if the old song works just fine? I have. So, what is that new song? It is “a song of praise to our God” that is our continuing testimony to the shared goodness of God! Each new daily deliverance should help us to see God more clearly. His loving character is revealed through all his works and our gratitude is revealed by sharing what he has done with others.

Sometimes, in the midst of disappointment, loss, and even persecution, we can be encouraged when we read the psalmist’s reminder that God thinks of us a lot (v.5). I love the word picture that his thoughts and deeds towards us are “multiplied” instead of merely being the work of addition.
You have multiplied, O Lord my God,
    your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us;
    none can compare with you!
I will proclaim and tell of them,
    yet they are more than can be told. (v.5)

Photo by Hudson Hintze on Unsplash
Such an insight into the mind and mission of God led the psalmist to testify freely. He did not restrain his lips when speaking of the goodness of God (v.9-10) because the Lord had done more things than could be told (v.5). He could have said there is too much to say so I won’t even try, but he didn’t wimp out. Listen to his words!

I have told the glad news of deliverance
    in the great congregation; behold,
I have not restrained my lips,
    as you know, O Lord.
I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart;
    I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation;
I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness
    from the great congregation.

What were the most recent three things that God has done for you, which you then shared with someone else? Why don’t we remember what he has done? Why are we not better at writing it down? To borrow a picture from the gospels, could our memory be challenged because our hearts have become like a hard-packed path (with the restless to-and-fro of our habitual busyness and the aimless shuffling of our highly distracted lives) and the seeds of the goodness of God’s works in our lives are snatched away by the enemy of our soul?

Photo by Alejandro Escamilla on Unsplash
We need to plant the blessed memories of God’s workings on our behalf in the potting soil of internal gratitude and public testimony. In the OT people would build an altar or set up memorial stones to remember how God had met them and delivered them. What about us? What things do we do to remind ourselves of the good things God has done for us and for others? Feel free to share your suggestions in the comment section below! As for me, this section has challenged me to start what I call a “gratitude list” or an “I noticed list” where I write down one way I noticed God at work or I enjoyed something or someone for whom I am grateful. If I don’t write it down, I won’t remember. If I don’t remember it then how can I share it with others and allow them to participate in the blessing? Thankfully his mercies don't run short... even in the darkest of times "they are new every morning" (Lam. 3:22-23).

The psalmist makes the connection between his own unrestrained testimony of gratitude to God and his observation/trust that the Lord would not restrain from showing his mercy to the psalmist (v.11) because he was personally in great need of mercy (v.12)! We are certainly no different though we may think we are.

As for me, I am poor and needy,
    but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
    do not delay, O my God!
(v. 17)

I hope you find it encouraging that God thinks about you, hears your cry for help, and comes quickly to answer, encourage, and deliver you. Do you see him?



No comments:

Post a Comment