For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Psalm 97 "Theophany"

Psalm for Today = 97:5-7
The mountains melt like wax before the Lord,
    before the Lord of all the earth.

The heavens proclaim his righteousness,
    and all the peoples see his glory.
All worshipers of images are put to shame,
    who make their boast in worthless idols;
    worship him, all you gods!


Comments:
In this psalm we see Yahweh’s presence described in the language of theophany reminiscent of Mt. Sinai where he gave Israel the Law. Theophany is the term used for a physical manifestation of the glorious presence of God.

The “mountains melt like wax” has always made me wonder whether it is representing his power that makes the rivers of lava flow down, or a reference to his eternal nature that stands unchanged as the mountains erode.

“The heavens proclaim” God’s creation reveals something about him…he is righteous and glorious as well as creative! Can the idols made in the image of mere created things stand in the presence of the Creator himself. No. So for me this means I need to be sure that I am trusting in the Lord not boasting in worthless idols.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting perspectives on the mountains melting in God;s presence. I do think I used this psalm for prayer in seemingly impossible situations like an adoption that took an eternity (it felt like it at least). In God's goodness He did melt that mountain and his glory was declared in that much loved daughter coming home.
    No one but our God has the power and authority over nature and our circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Debi! I seem to remember that situation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really make it seem so easy along with your presentation buut I in finding
    this topic to be really something which I think I
    might by no means understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely extensive for me.

    I'm having a look frward to your next submit,
    I will attempt to geet the dangle of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy! This article could not bee wreitten any better! Reading thyrough this post
    reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept preaching about this.
    I most certaily will forward this post to him.
    Fairly certain he will hace a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not myy first time to pay a visit this web page, i am visiting this
    site dailly and take nice information from here every day.

    ReplyDelete