For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Psalm 145 "Kind in all his works"

Psalm for Today = 145:14-17
14 The Lord upholds all who are falling
    and raises up all who are bowed down.
15 The eyes of all look to you,
    and you give them their food in due season.
16 You open your hand;
    you satisfy the desire of every living thing.
17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways
    and kind in all his works.

Comments:
I have commented on this psalm at least five times on Facebook but usually from verses 2-5 or 8-9. I am always surprised when I go back and see that the same verses minister to me over and over. Having said that, I am now deliberately choosing different verses to share today.

I love these verses because they show the simple trust of the psalmist, David, who had grown up as a shepherd living on the land and seeing God’s care for his creatures season by season. He had eyes to see God at work…not just in nature but in people.

David had experienced a number of times when he was “falling” or “bowed down” and had known God’s deliverance of the faithful and was committed to passing on his testimony of God’s goodness to the next generation. We need to do the same thing! Tell the God stories. Repeat our spiritual heritage for them to hear. Let our past help to build their faith! But remember that God, not us, is always the hero of the story.

I can say a hearty “Amen!” to David’s poetic testimony. I too have seen God’s care, provision, and healing in my life and can testify of his faithfulness. No matter how God is portrayed in the media and schools today the truth is found on the lips of the shepherd king, “The Lord is righteous in all his ways and kind in all his works.” (v.17)

So, the more I trust God as a faithful provider, the more I respond to his love, the more he will rub off on me. It should become easy to see in the righteous my ways, and the kindness of my works. If not, I am probably depending on myself too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment