For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Psalm 77 "Memories"

Psalm for Today = 77:11-15 
“I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, 
 I will remember your wonders of old.
 I will ponder all your work,
 and meditate on your mighty deeds. 
Your way, O God, is holy. What god is great like our God?
You are the God who works wonders;
you have made known your might among the peoples. 
You with your arm redeemed your people, the children of Jacob and Joseph.”

Comment: 
Photo by Julia Joppien on Unsplash
In the midst of a psalm of lament, one where the psalmist honestly longs for the" good old days" and wonders whether God is through working in his life, he chooses to remember the wonders that God had worked in the past. 


It is in his remembrance of Yahweh’s relational redemption of his people (specifically in the Red Sea crossing), that Asaph came to make this request and silently stated his trust in the Lord in his present circumstances. 

When we long for the "good old days" who is the hero of our story? 

I want to side with Asaph's choice in this.

Because we tend to remember bad things more easily than good things, I find it helpful to keep a spiritual journal of biblical devotions, breakthroughs, lessons, insights, and observations of God at work in the world, as well as my prayers and answers to prayer. Looking back, things I wrote down long ago can still encourage me in difficult times.

No comments:

Post a Comment