For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Psalm 81 "Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it"

Psalm for Today = 81:6-10
“I relieved your shoulder of the burden; 
   your hands were freed from the basket.
In distress you called, and I delivered you;
   I answered you in the secret place of thunder;
   I tested you at the waters of Meribah.
Hear, O my people, while I admonish you! 
   O Israel, if you would but listen to me!
There shall be no strange god among you; 
    you shall not bow down to a foreign god.
I am the Lord your God, 
   who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
   Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."

Comment: 
In this psalm, we see the heart of God for his people. 

Baby Swallows in the nest waiting to be fed.
Photo: Paula Garrett
He delivered them from the burdens of slavery, brought them out of Egypt, and provided food in the wilderness. They were helpless like birds in a nest waiting for their parents to stuff good things into their open mouths. God met their needs and cared for them miraculously, yet they stubbornly went their own way and missed out on God's loving best for them. With all the 10 Commandments summed up in the first... "no strange god among you" he reminds them of their covenant with him. 

I have to ask...are there ways that we have given false gods a place in our lives? 

Has God been put in a position of letting us go our own way? That is a terrifying thought!

"Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it" is God's promise to his people. But are we willing to eat what he is serving? Will we be content with what he knows is best for us? Too often we are not.

Today I am responding to his loving care for me. I really don't want to follow my own counsel, my own cooking...his way is better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment