For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Psalm 88 "Seeing Through Dim Eyes"

Photo by Kat J on Unsplash
Psalm for Today = 88:8-9
You have caused my companions to shun me;
    you have made me a horror to them.
I am shut in so that I cannot escape;
    my eye grows dim through sorrow.
Every day I call upon you, O Lord;
    I spread out my hands to you.

Comments:
One thing to remember in reading the Old Testament is the progressive revelation that was occurring. This means that as the Old Testament plays out, their understanding of God increased as more and more about him was prophetically revealed. Earlier in Israel’s history, they didn't have a clear understanding of life after death…as we can see in this psalm. Even as overwhelmed as the author was…he poured his heart out honestly to the Lord! 

One other note is that the relational trauma he experienced sounds much like Job 19:13-14 where Job talked about how his family shunned him in his suffering faith. But I wonder if the psalmist is actually alluding to this passage in Job which ends in these familiar words that hint at the resurrection:
“For I know that my Redeemer lives,
    and at the last he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been thus destroyed,
    yet in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see for myself,
    and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
(Job 19:25-27)

No comments:

Post a Comment