For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Psalm 109 I give myself to prayer...with a vengence?

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash
Psalm for Today = 109:3-5

They encircle me with words of hate,
    and attack me without cause.
In return for my love they accuse me,
    but I give myself to prayer.
So they reward me evil for good,
    and hatred for my love.

Comments:
In this lament, David asked God for deliverance from the wicked men who pursued him verbally and physically. They were evil men in every sense of the word. But how did David respond to such injustice? He gave himself to prayer. I wish I was so consistently spiritual when faced with rejection, slander, and hate.

David also gave himself to prayer in a way that Christians usually don’t. It is called “imprecatory prayer” and is like praying judgment or a justly-deserved curse down on the wicked. I read “They encircle me with words of hate” in verse 3 and am struck with the word picture. It seems that David’s prayer encircles their words of hate with his words of trust that God will deal with them righteously…though they are not kind words. Verses 6-20 ask God to deal with these specific oppressors in very specific ways appropriate to their sins (esp. v.17).

As followers of Christ, we are to pray for those who curse us. Like the psalmist, we can process our emotions honestly through the character of God and his commitment to justice. We can also pray and ask God, like the martyred souls in heaven when will He avenge all the innocent blood that has been shed by the wicked (Revelation 6:10)? But like Jesus prayed on the cross we should also pray for their forgiveness “for they don’t know what they do” (Luke 23:34).

Ultimately, all judgment is in God’s hands and he will make it all right!

No comments:

Post a Comment