For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Psalm 116 ""I Love the Lord Because..."

Psalm for Today = 116:1-4
1I love the Lord, because he has heard
    my voice and my pleas for mercy.
Because he inclined his ear to me,
    therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
The snares of death encompassed me;
    the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
    I suffered distress and anguish.
Then I called on the name of the Lord:
    “O Lord, I pray, deliver my soul!”

Comments:
I was impressed at the psalmist's forthright causal statement. He loves the Lord because
  • he listened, 
  • he heard my voice, 
  • he delivered my soul. 
  • he showed his love over the long haul. 
The psalmist can’t help but testify to what God has done for him, and is determined to love the Lord back…and serve him faithfully.

Why do we love the Lord? Is it not for the same reasons? 

You might take a few minutes and think through the ways Jesus has heard and delivered you. Thank him together with me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment