For years I have posted verses from the Psalms and a brief comment on Facebook and now am turning them into a blog. It is my conviction that the Psalms, as found in the Bible, are an example for us of honest communication with God. The psalmists express a wide range of emotions, circumstances, and requests. God is not afraid of our questions, doubts, or concerns. Join me as we learn from the Psalms to process our emotions through the character of God, and see him more clearly.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Psalm 91 "Who You Gonna Call?"

Psalm for Today 91:15-16

"When he calls to me,
I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
              With long life I will satisfy him
                                      and show him my salvation"

Comment: What an amazing promise this is, among many which are found in this psalm! This passage is often considered a psalm of protection... but that doesn't mean we won't go through troubles.

What it means is that our Savior meets us there! Wow!

As we cry out to the Triune God, trusting in hos steadfast love, we will find that…

  • It is God who will answer. 
  • It is God who will be with us in trouble. 
  • It is God who will rescue us.
  • It is God who will honor us. 
  • It is God who satisfies us with life in Him.
  • It is God who saves us.

Wait. He will do what? That seems entirely too much...to have God so honoring us, doesn't it? If we are honest, we know we want to be honored by others, but likewise, we know that we don't deserve to receive it from God. Nevertheless, he honors the ones who call on Him. Our notions of self-sufficiency stand in the way of our receiving honor from God rather than furthering our standing.

This psalm says so much about God's great protection of the faithful, but I wonder if even greater than the promised protection from harm is the gift of being heard, answered, and honored by the presence of the Lord himself. 


Who is on your speed dial today? Who are you going to call when all hell breaks loose around you? Hopefully not some goofy movie guys or a book from the self-help section at Powells.

In moments of crisis, will "Jesus Christ" be merely an expletive of frustration on our lips or a desperate prayer, the cry of an honest heart?

I think I'll opt for prayer. Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment